COMPOSITION: Each sachet (1.5g) contains:
Cefixime................ 75 mg
DOSAGE FORM: Granule
PAKAGING: Box of 20 sachets
• Cefixime is indicated for the treatment of the following infections when caused by susceptible micro -
• Upper respiratory tract infections: Bacterial pharyngitis, tonsillitis, otitis media, sinusitis.
• Lower respiratory tract infections: Acute bronchitis and acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis.
• Uncomplicated urinary tract infections: Acute cystidis.
• Uncomplicated gonorrhoea.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATIONS
Adults and children over 12 years
• The recommended dosage is 200 - 400mg daily given either as a single dose or in two divided doses.
• For upper respiratory tract infections and uncomplicated urinary tract infections: 200mg once daily.
• In lower respiratory tract infections: 400mg daily is recommended.
• For sinusitis: the therapeutic dosage must be administered for 10 to 14 days.
• Treatment of uncomplicated Gonorrhoea: The recommended dosage is 400mg as a single oral dose.
Infants and childrens below 12 years of age
• The recommended dosage is 8mg/kg daily given either as a single dose or in two divided doses.
• In patients with more serious symptoms or unadequate effect, the dosage may increase to 6mg/kg,
CONTRA - INDICATIONS
Cefixime is contra - indicated in patients with known allergy to the Cephalosporin group of antibiotics.
• Precaution with patient has had previous hypersensitivity reactions to Cephalosporin, Penicillins. Rate of
cross hypersensitivity among Beta - lactam antibiotics has been clearly documented and may occur in up
to 10% of patients with a history of Penicillin allergy.
• The possibility of the emergence of resistant organisms which might result in overgrowth should be kept in
mind, particularly during prolonged treatment.
• Cefixime should be prescribed with caution in individual with a history of gastrointestinal disease,
USE IN PREGNANCY AND LACTATION
Pregnancy: Safe use in human pregnancy has not been established, only use real neccesarily.
Lactation: It is not known whether cefixime is excreted in human breast milk, only use real neccesarily.
SIDE - EFFECTS
• Gastrointestinal: Diarrhoea, abdominal pain, dyspepsia, nausea and vomiting. Several cases of documented
pseudomembraneous colitis were identified during the studies. The onset of pseudomembranous colitis
symptoms may occur during or after therapy.
• Hypersensitivity reactions: Skin rash, urticaria, drug fever, and pruritus. Erythema multiforme, Stevens -
Johnson syndrome, and serum sickness-like reactions have been reported.
• Hepatic: Transient elevation in SGPT, SGOT and alkaline phosphatase.
• Renal: Transient elevations in BUN or Creatinine.
• Central nervous system: Headaches or dizziness.
• Hemic and Lymphatic systems: Transient thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, and eosinophilia. Prolongation
in prothrombin time was seen rarely.
• Other: Genital pruritus, vaginitis, candidiasis.
• Elevated carbamazepine levels have been reported when Cefixime is administered concomitantly.
• A false - positive direct Coombs test has been reported during treatment with other cephalosporin antibiotics;
therefore, it should be recognized that a positive Coombs test may be due to the drug.
• Anticoagulants: Prolongation in clotting time was reported when using Cefixime with anticoagulants (Warfarin).